Uprising Square (Ploshchad Vosstaniya)
The Uprising Square (Ploshchad Vosstaniya, Площадь Восстания) is quite rightly considered to the gates of Saint Petersburg, for every day hundreds of long-distance and suburban trains leave the platforms of the Moscow Station there.
The origins of Uprising Square are linked with the city’s early history. This was the site of the intersection of Bolshaya Perspektivnaya Doroga (Great Perspective Road, as Nevsky Avenue was called before 1738) and the road to Novgorod, now Ligovsky Avenue, where a huge patch of waste ground formed, now covered by Uprising Square. At the beginning of the 19th century, on the edge of this waste ground (where the pavilion of the Metro station now stands) the Church of the Sign was erected, giving the square its first name – the Square of the Sign (Znamenskaya Ploshchad). But the square remained just as desolate as before and was still on the remote outskirts of the city.
In 1851, when trains began to run between St. Petersburg and Moscow, the Moscow Railway Station was built in the Square of the Sign by the architect Konstantin Ton. A hundred years later, the station premises were rebuilt by the architect Vladimir Kuznetsov and were adapted to the needs of the rapidly growing flow of passengers. The station’s façade overlooking the square has preserved its original appearance.
At the center of Uprising Square towers an obelisk To the Hero-City of Leningrad. The authors of the monument, Alexander Alymov and Veniamin Pinchuk, succeeded in making it equally impressive from all angles of vision. The obelisk, crowned with the Gold Star of the hero-city, has a total height of 33 m (the height of the star is about 2 meters). Its pentagonal base is decorated with high reliefs devoted to the theme of Leningrad’s defense during World War 2.