Brousnitsyn Mansion and the mirror of Dracula
The Brousnitsyn Mansion - lost in the industrial area of Vasilievsky Island - is a historical landmark building in Saint Petersburg and a monument of eclecticism (architectural style in which a single piece of work incorporates a mixture of elements from previous historical styles to create something that is new and original).
Once part of a tannery, the mansion was acquired by the Brousnitsyn family in the mid-nineteenth century, and they owned it until the revolution of 1917.
There is a rather eerie and unsettling urban legend about this place. In early 20th century, a mirror purchased in Italy was delivered to the house. This was no ordinary mirror, though, for it came from a palazzo known to be the burial place for Count Dracula. Anyone looking into the mirror reported feeling odd and later awful things would happen to them. The rumors started with the sudden death of the granddaughter of the owner, and with all family members falling sick. The mirror was moved into a closet. After the revolution, the mirror ended up in the Kirov Culture Club, and later returned to the mansion, which was now converted into a factory, and put up on a wall in the director’s office. A short time later, the director vanished. Apparently, that was the last straw, as the office was boarded up and sealed off after that.